There is an ongoing debate about what is the most convenient way to process wooden parts and create valuable artifacts. The best wood lathe is the one giving you the chance to create unique wooden creations with less given effort and hassle at any given time.
A wood lathe is a single machine used to form a piece of wood into the desired shape, whether it be bowl, spindle, vase, or a variety of other useful and decorative wood items. A part of the wood is attached to a spinning arm, and various tools are used to shape the piece of wood as it spins.
Modern lathes usually have a spindle and tailstock where the wood you want to “turn” is attached. You can use a variety of bladed tools and the tool rest to pare down the outside of the wood, taking off the bark and shaping it until it is in the form you want. You may additionally use it to hollow the wood to make vessels such as cups, bowls, vases, and decorative objects.
Now let’s take off various brands of wood lathes and check which one is a better fit to become your long-term companion in wood crafting creations.
Our Top Picks
10 Best Wood Lathe Reviews 2020
1 JET JWL-1221VS Variable Speed Wood Lathe – Best Overall
The JET brand has been known for decades to create some of the most reliable wood crafting tools. TheJET JWT-1221VS is the best wood lathe in the market.
It has an unrivaled speed control working at a variable speed ranging from 60 to 3,600 RPM that has some conveniently placed controls. It also equipped with a smooth transition system coming forward to reverse. There is an acme threat in tailstock and 24 integrated indexing positions for a more excellent handle of this wood lathe machine.
- Great efficiency in wood drilling.
- More power to give you the best precision in cutting wood.
- Anti-debris mechanism for motor protection.
- The cutting surface equipped with LED lights for your ease.
- Panic button in case something goes wrong, stopping the motor.
- Not readily available for all locations.
- Heavy machine, hard to relocate.
2 Grizzly H8259 – Best Benchtop Lathe
This is the world-famous wood lathe machine with high capacity to create the top-of-the art wooden artifacts.
Its motor is measured at ½HP and works in the 110V currency in the single-phase, being able to work correctly in most countries of the globe. It is made of unique lightweight materials so that you can easily carry it with you at all times, visiting various labs.
This particular wood lather includes tool rest, live rolling center, spur center, and special wrenches to give you excellent assistance when you need adjustments.
- The motor is powerful, giving you a competitive edge.
- Single wrench machine; you don’t need extra tools to operate it.
- Able to work in 110V and 220V power networks.
- Inbuilt tool rest helps you have all your tools accumulated with you.
- The base of the lathe is sometimes unstable.
- Lack of a longer power cord makes remote working difficult.
3 RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch – Best Wood Lathe for The Money
RIKON company has been traditionally known for its excellent construction tools that made to facilitate the life of carpenters and other related professionals. This is the best wood lathe for the money to make worth the investment
This is by far the largest mini lather in the industry, and it can change speeds easily and quickly. There is a unique indexing head featured for detailed work giving you the chance to be more professional with the wooden parts you make.
There is also a great variety of accessories to choose from to feel more versatile at any time. RIKON is offering a great guarantee to cover for an excellent after-sales service.
- It has a minimal size for optimal relocation.
- LED lights are always there to keep your working surface bright.
- More accessories can be added to have great working experience.
- Generous guarantee following the lathe.
- Great value-for-money purchase.
- The smaller size may pose obstacles in handling big wooden artifacts.
- No batteries are available to take it for remote work.
4 Delta Industrial Inch Variable – Best Beginner Wood Lathe
For decades now, the DELTA has been producing quality construction tools to be registered as one of the top brands in the worldwide market. From this unique series, you could find and acquire to form the best shaped wooden creation you can imagine.
It features a powerful motor with several variable speeds to enhance precision and consistency when working. The first forward and reverse movements can provide a superior finish when cutting wooden surfaces.
There is also a patented belt-tensioning system to enable fast speed changes and longer tool life to give more longevity and endurance to the lathe as a whole.
- Extra swift functioning with double motors for best results.
- Cutting the surface is clear enough for precise cutting.
- The drill is among the greatest in the market.
- The belt-tensioning system is efficient enough.
- The fast forward move is giving you enough torque to cut wooden parts.
- The heavy design makes it difficult to move the lathe.
- Absence of LED lighting to give you precision.
5 Powermatic 1352001 Model 3520B Wood Turning Lathes
This is a more extended life-cycle machine to perform accurate wood forming. The tool is reputable for the great simplicity of its functioning.
The wood lathe is versatile enough to support a range of projects. It equipped with a powerful motor with extreme torque capable of forming any wood.
The lathe body is durable and resistant to vibrations. It also has some cleverly designed headstock for extremely easy adjustments while working.
- Simple use with only one button to operate.
- Only one wrench is needed for operation.
- The anti-vibration mechanism gives you the precision to cut.
- Versatility to support any type of wooden objects.
- The headstock can be easily reversed to work.
- It is energy consuming, so you have to take care of it.
- A wood lathe cannot be easily disassembled.
6 Laguna Tools MLAREVO 1836 – Best Lathe for The Money
Well-known for its excellent overall quality to the construction business. This unique wood forming tool is one of the best wood lathes available in the online market.
It has an ergonomically controlled angled panel made from anodized aluminum for extra safety when working. It differs from all others featuring knurled control knob fitted with a rubber grip that is unique in the category.
When changing high to low settings, there is excellent ease quick release handle — a real piece of art.
- A unique shape gives great comfort to the user.
- Plastic rubber handles take away the vibrations.
- More room to work since the existence of a large cutting surface.
- LED lights are bright enough to give you unstoppable working sessions.
- A foot-operated button for better comfort of the use.
- Heavy construction is hard to move along.
- The power cord is short and gives you fewer chances for remote work.
7 NOVA 46300 Comet II – Best Mini Wood Lathe
It has a 3-step pulley system offering different speed ranges and giving more flexibility to the user. There is also a high-speed range that gives you enough power to finish the wood formation and achieve a superior finish.
Finally, the indexing feature is resiliently accurate, and the quick action cam controls can precisely adjust to your requirement.
- Great efficiency with double-motor functioning.
- The cutting surface is great to work with.
- Stop button exists to keep you safe while working.
- Stable legs of the lathe are vibration-free.
- It is energy-saving as it operates only one motor at a time when needed.
- No flexibility on the working surface.
- It cannot handle easily, large wooden objects.
8 PSI Woodworking – Best Midi Wood Lathe
One of the most innovative companies that give the industry new solutions every day has been the PSI company featuring many tools available for the carpenters.
It is by far the most advanced, powerful, and easy to use a lathe in its class. It features a great motor that has variable speeds to enable the user to complete different types of wood shaping.
The digital readout allows you to work at precise speeds. There are also some convenient built-in handles, and the cast iron base can accept multiple extensions to widen your working surface.
- Extra powerful motor that can give you torque to cut any wooden parts.
- The insulated motor part that reduces the noise when cutting.
- S.O.S button is there to cut the functioning of the motor when needed.
- The power cord is long enough to promote remote use.
- A set of batteries to make sure your cutting job done with no intervals
- Higher cutting costs for non-professional users.
- More wrenches needed to disassemble the unit.
9 SHOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower – Best Beginner Lathe
This is the best mini wood lathe you can order and acquire for long-term use.
It features a greater distance between its centers for better control of the wooden shape. It also includes two tool rests on making sure you are always on top of the turning projects.
There is also a faceplate included for non-spindle turning giving you the change to create highly-detailed wooden artifacts.
- Cast iron powerful structure.
- Variable speed control makes you work with no interruptions.
- Tool rests keep your workplace well-organized.
- 12-inch distance between centers gives you the chance to work better.
- It’s less heavy than the competition and easily relocated.
- Pieces are hard to find and replace if you lose them.
- No generous guarantee plan.
10 WEN 3420 Variable Speed – Best Budget Lathe
This particular wood lathe included in the list of the best wood lathe for its dynamic shape and durability of use.
It has a variable speed operation making it easy to work with any wooden material. The spindle and tailstock carefully designed to give you more detailed work when needed. The 2Amp slow start motor provides a gradual starting to prevent motor damage and maximize safety.
Finally, the lathe has a variety of accessories so that you can have the right tool right by your side to perform any artwork in wood shaping.
- A 5-inch faceplate for better woodcutting is apparent.
- Tool rest is large enough to keep all your tools.
- Safety lock on the switch on the button gives you more safety.
- The variable speed control gives you more cutting power.
- Soft start motor gives you more easy openings.
- More pressure is needed to embrace large wooden parts.
- No remote chance for operating.
Awesome List of 10 Best Wood Lathe
As you can see, there are a lot of features to be looking for when purchasing the best wood lathe for your business. Make sure it is the most reliable one to give you all the quality and safety you need when working with wood formation objects.
Table of Contents
- Our Top Picks
- 10 Best Wood Lathe Reviews 2020
- 1 JET JWL-1221VS Variable Speed Wood Lathe – Best Overall
- 2 Grizzly H8259 – Best Benchtop Lathe
- 3 RIKON 70-100 12-by-16-Inch – Best Wood Lathe for The Money
- 4 Delta Industrial Inch Variable – Best Beginner Wood Lathe
- 5 Powermatic 1352001 Model 3520B Wood Turning Lathes
- 6 Laguna Tools MLAREVO 1836 – Best Lathe for The Money
- 7 NOVA 46300 Comet II – Best Mini Wood Lathe
- 8 PSI Woodworking – Best Midi Wood Lathe
- 9 SHOP FOX W1704 1/3-Horsepower – Best Beginner Lathe
- 10 WEN 3420 Variable Speed – Best Budget Lathe
- Awesome List of 10 Best Wood Lathe